Wednesday 2 March 2011

Celtic vs. Rangers show why I love football.

Tonight's Old Firm replay did not break the record for goals- it ended with Celtic winning 1-0.

It did not serve up thrill a minute football (although it wasn't a bad game).

But it did have something which the game feeds on:
Pure Passion.

To say the match had extra "spice" was an understatement. In fact, by the time the players were walking down the tunnel, Ranger were down to eight men. Whittaker, Bougherra and Diouf (after the final whistle) all receiving their marching orders.

Some would call it ugly. I would call it entertainment.

There were tackles flying everywhere, arguments, handbags and that was just between Ally McCoist and Neil Lennon!

El-Hadji Diouf was at his pantomime villain best and I loved every second.

Not many like Diouf, and I am one of those- but he does provide a comedy factor to proceedings which no other player can.

He was constantly in the Celtic players' faces, always playing up to the crowd...and the referee.

He even went after Neil Lennon on one occasion which result in a caution and Ally McCoist being pulled away by his soon to be predecessor, Walter Smith.

The Celtic Park crowd was phenomenal. It is not Anfield which has the best fans in Britain on this evidence.

You'll never walk alone rang out around the ground before the kick off of both the first and second halves.

(If you don't believe me about the Celtic Park atmosphere, YouTube it.)

All in all, Celtic thoroughly deserved to win, and it was only down to some decent goalkeeping and suicidal defending which kept it at 1-0.

I'm by no means an SPL watcher, but on this evidence, I may subscribe more to the beautiful game north of the border.

I'm more than happy I chose this over City vs, Villa.

It's all about the passion.

Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment